What We Fund
DCF awards grants to community-based nonprofit or educational organizations in California which establish projects and programs designed to benefit the communication needs of Californians with disabilities of all ages.
DCF has identified three (3) Funding Priorities. For a project to be considered it must address one of the following areas:
Training AT and AAC Professionals
Projects that build an organization’s capacity to better serve the communication needs of their clients through the training of professionals.
Facilitating Research and Innovation
Collection of data on a service or target population for the purpose of documenting best practices or a gap analysis; or development and testing of new technologies and services which benefit individuals with disabilities that impact their ability to communicate.
Building Networks and Replicating Successful Models
Fostering collaboration and exchange among stakeholders serving the communication needs of Californians with disabilities.
For a detailed description of these focus areas, please review the DCF Funding Priorities
Our grant cycle follows the calendar year. Projects are expected to last 12 months; grant amounts range from $10,000 to $100,000; organizations can receive a maximum of three consecutive years of funding. DCF is now also accepting requests for multiyear projects from current and previous grantees only; the maximum grant amount is $200,000 for a 3-year project.
DCF Funded Projects
Since 2011, DCF has funded 149 projects by 78 organizations throughout California.
- 2019 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf) – project profiles coming soon
- 2018 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf) - With links to detailed project profiles
- 2017 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf) - With links to detailed project profiles
- 2016 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf) - With links to detailed project profiles
- 2015 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf)
- 2014 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf)
- 2013-14 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf)
- 2012-13 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf)
- 2011-12 Grant Cycle: download grantees (pdf)
DCF EVENT SUPPORT
The Discretionary Events Fund is intended to support events in the disability field that align with DCF’s mission to promote access to communication and information for individuals with disabilities in California. Funding is intended to support an organization in hosting a topic-based workshop or conference. Fundraising events are not eligible.
Available Funds & Award Amounts
- Applications are accepted year-round.
- DCF has a total of $50,000 to award in the 2018-2019 rolling cycle.
- An organization can only receive one award per Fiscal Year, ranging from $1,000 to $10,000.
- Event must take place within 6 months of the request for funding.
Since July 2018, DCF has funded the following events:
2019-2020 DCF Pilot RFP
Providing Alternative Augmentative Communication (AAC) Training for Professionals in Rural and Underserved Areas of California
DCF is piloting an invitation-only funding opportunity to improve the capacity to serve individuals with complex communication needs in remote geographic areas of California. This is a collaborative opportunity between organizations located in California’s metropolitan areas (Greater Bay Area, Greater Los Angeles, Sacramento, and San Diego) and organizations outside of that, to provide AAC training for professionals in rural and/or underserved areas. Only prior DCF grantees that have successfully implemented an AAC training program are eligible to submit a proposal.
Parents Helping Parents, San Jose, and their project “Accessing Communication Together” (in collaboration with Exceptional Parents Unlimited, Fresno) was selected for funding and is receiving $100,000 over a 24-months period.
Project Profile coming soon.